Ahhhhh, it was the Summer of 2015, my favorite artist (J Cole) just put out his platinum solo album (2014 Forest Hills Drive) in December, and I have two tickets for me and my best friend. The venue was at DTE, not my favorite place to see a concert, but then again it's not my least favorite. We had seats under the pavilion. This came in handy once it started to rain on everyone that had lawn seats for the show. Even though we had good seats, we wanted to move closer to the stage. We ended up moving directly behind the sound booth. We were so close to the sound booth that we could hear conversations being had in the booth. I really didn't think anything of it. At first, I was thinking it was cool that we were in the middle of the whole concert.
As the first performer (Omen) left the stage I felt excited and ready for Cole to come out and do what he does best. Right before Cozz and Bas hit the stage, I notice that Omen is walking in the crowd to a seat. I tapped my friend in excitement not thinking that he was about to sit right in front of us! Omen went to sit at the sound booth. Without hesitation, I shouted his name. Unexpectedly, he turned around. I reached out my hand for a handshake and told him that I enjoyed Elephant Eyes and his music. He thanked me with a smile and continued on with his day. As a Dreamville fan that was an exciting moment because he has been working with Cole for years now. Day one fans will understand that.
After Cozz and Bas finished performing, it all felt real. J Cole is in the building and the only thing stopping me from seeing him perform is YG. Before YG came out, I noticed a few people walking down to their seats in an almost too calm manner. It turned out to be Cozz (the newest addition to Dreamville at the time). And guess where he's headed, TO THE SOUND BOOTH. At this point, I'm thinking we just came up big time. He was too far for me to shake his hand, but I did get his attention and told him that I appreciate his music.
No more than 20 minutes after I just met Cozz, I notice a bigger man walking through the stands interacting with the crowd giving high fives, taking pictures, and giving hugs. The man himself, Bas. At this point, I was just so caught in the moment that I forgot that I was waiting on Cole to come out. Like the others, I told him I appreciated his music and shook his hand.
This day was very special to me. I met the majority of my favorite rap group. I also had the chance to see my favorite artist for the first time live. Along with seeing them, I spent a good day with my best friend. Many things happened leading up to this day. At first, I didn't think I was going to the concert. Another best friend of mine was killed in a motorcycle accident a week before the show. I wasn't feeling up to going out at the time. But my friend that went to the show with me talked me out of my slump and encouraged me to go and enjoy the show. Going to the show did indeed cheer me up. Especially because I got to meet some artists that I connect with deeply.
I'm so sorry about your friend that was killed in a motorcycle accident, JacQuan. Sending prayers your way.
ReplyDeleteBut, isn't it amazing what music can do to change your day, and/or mood? You probably made those artists feel amazing just by shaking their hand, giving them a compliment and making them smile!
Stay true!! The fans keep them going. Great story! :)
xoxo,
Lauren