Saturday, September 16, 2017

Legacy- Jay-Z (Sean Carter)

This blog I will be covering Legacy by Jay-Z. I will not break down the whole song. I will highlight parts of the song that I like and break down how they are relatable to the "real world."

"Daddy, what's a will?" This is the opening to Jay-Z's final song, Legacy, on the Summer's smashing album 4:44. These words are spoken by his daughter Blue Ivy Carter. It is incredible that he starts the song off this way because it is his daughter asking him about what a will in which he further explains in detail throughout the song. Wills are something a lot of African American people do not think about but desperately need. I, unfortunately, come from a family, on all sides, that does not prepare wills for the family left behind. A lot of people in my family do not even think about wills. I hope this song brings the importance to them and answer the questions they may be confused about, like Blue Ivy.

"She might start an institute
She might put poor kids through school
My stake in Roc Nation should go to you
Leave a piece for your siblings to give to their children too"

This lyric right here is profound. Referring to his daughter, he highlights something positive that she could do with the money that he plans to give her. A lot of the times people may come off selfish with the money they have been given. Or may not spend it wisely. He then mentions his stake in the Billion dollar company that he started up with a few partners. This stake is one of the greatest things that we know Jay-Z for. Now people can reflect on their own lives and see their largest stake as something they can pass down (i.e., house, car, business, money. etc.). Next, he includes Blues siblings by suggesting to leave some of the money for her siblings. Some households have more than one child to the family. This mindset of spreading the wealth is key. The mindset of everyone eating or succeeding together is what pushes a group of people further. Finally, he mentions what would be his grandchildren. It is important to remember that a will should continue on to the next generation. It would do the family no good if there was only one successful generation.

"That's called the Red Queen's Race
You run this hard just to stay in place
Keep up the pace
You run this hard just to stay in place"

The Red Queens Race refers back to Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There, by Lewis Carrol. The Red Queen makes Alice run while the land beneath her is moving which makes it hard for her to move. This is the concept of working so hard just to keep up. Those who are not left in anyone's will essentially start at the bottom of the totem pole and have to work very hard for what they earn. Others that may have received something may have a head start in life essentially. We've also heard this concept "keeping up with the Jones'." Having a will that you are a part of can help you go further in life or get you on your feet quicker.

The Lyric that I can relate to the most is:

"General wealth, that's the key
My parents ain't have sh**, so that shift started with me
My mom took her money, she bought me bonds
That was the sweetest thing of all time, uh"

My father was never in my life, and if he were, he wouldn't have much to offer. My mother, on the other hand, had nothing given to her throughout her life and had to earn everything that she has seen in her life. She had me at 20 years old and didn't have much going for her at the time. Since then, she's been stuck "working" and not so much "living." She has been stuck in the Red Queens Race trying to keep up with the Jones'. It was hard growing up seeing her struggle with bills and other finances. She works much harder than she has earned, and her sacrifices one day will pay off. Her greatest investment in this world has been me. She has taken out thousands of dollars worth in loans to pay for my college tuition. I have not gained one scholarship before and during my time in school. It has been straight out of her pocket. I am forever grateful for this act. Not many people have parents who will take that risk in their child, but she see's something in me I didn't see in myself. That act alone is the shift that will change our family forever. I won't say much about my plans and how I wish to see the future unfold for my family, I'll leave that to Jay-Z. He scripted what many people have encountered and experienced in this song. He has also opened a light for people who have not seen such acts of kindness and generosity. He is why hip-hop matter, he is why we listen.



7 comments:

  1. I work for a hip-hop radio station right now, so this was a really fascinating post to read. I love Jay-Z's work but the way you broke it down gave it a whole new meaning for me. This was super interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, really great post!! I also love Jay-Z's work and the way you broke it down gave me a new way to look at it. I am guilty of not paying a lot of attention to the lyrics but you have reminded me that I need to because every song tells a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a huge fan of hip hop, I must say I enjoyed your blog. Jay-Z is one of my favorite artists and I know a lot of people that relate to his music. 4:44 is already a classic and will go down as one of his best albums. This was a great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your blog and reading your outlook and opinions on what exactly it means to you. Everyone has a way of interpreting things differently and so many people are close minded about other peoples opinions. I think truly listening to lyrics is an important part of music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. huge fan of jayz and hiphop good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wayne! This is my favorite song on 4:44. So much, in fact, that it's the song my alarm clock plays in the morning. We did a pretty lengthy review of 4:44 on our magazine if you ever want to check it out.

    www.opusmagonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is cool how hip-hop relates to you and how you like it

    ReplyDelete